Monday 29 November 2010

SCIENCE/MATHS: Proportion, gravity and complex formulas

 = is proportional to


This is a good site to explain proportion.

http://www.easymaths.com/getting_things_out_of_proportion.htm

HOW I GOT TO LOOKING AT PROPORTION
You see, I was busy with my science today and the topic was planets.  When I had finished the section and the questions at the end of the section, I decided to do a presentation on planets and learn a bit more than was in the study book.

One of the sites I looked at gave me this to think about:

"gravitational force is proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them."

Ok so what does that mean to someone in P7?

....this lead us to look at formulas in general and how they are written and the symbols they use and then the complicated formula of gravity.

Some simple formulas - http://www.math.com/tables/geometry/areas.htm

Interesting....

A forceful recipe to measure gravity

2 measures of different masses
1 x cup of proportionality
1/2 cup of inverse proportionality
1 000 000 light years of distance
375 ml H2O (Water)
1 x pinch of salt

Mix ingrediants in a bowl and stir for 1 minute
Preheat solar system on medium and bake surface for 365 days.

Note your results.

No comments:

Post a Comment