Tuesday 16 November 2010

SCIENCE: Variation and Classification - Reptiles

There are 5 groups of vertebrates (Animals with backbones).  In alphabetical order they are:



Amphibians, birds, fish, mammals, reptiles.



I decided to concentrate on reptiles first and we added in an english activity on reptiles.






Sssssh, I have come to tell you my hissstory.  An interesting sssstory - all about me.

Sssince the dawn of time, when I was cursed to crawl on the ground with humans crussshing my head and me ssstriking their heeelsss, I have dissspaired of slisssslithering in the dussst of creation.

You may call me Medusssa but I have many namesss.

I ssslither and ssslide but beware, I am ssssly and with the vemon in my fangssss, I can kill you in one BITE!  

My reptile family is large and sssome are now extinct.  The magnificent dinosaursssss did not sssssurvive the agesssss of time.  

My cousssssinssss, Lizard, Crocodile, Alligator, Turtle and I are cold blooded beastsssss.  We lie in the sssun and our temperature changesss.  

We breathe through our lungsss and lay eggsss on land.  I have dry, ssscaly ssskin, that make no ssssound as I hunt for my ssssupper.




POEM:  SNAKE
Slither and slyly slide
surviving the ages of time
sleeping in the sun
smooth, scaly skin
soundlessly, seeeking supper
ssss






------------------------------------------------------------------------

DID YOU KNOW.... only 1 in every 1,000 baby sea turtles survives the trip from a sandy beach to its ocean home? There are many obstacles in its way, including human interference, debris on the beach, predators, and pollutants that weaken the turtles.

Ref:  
http://www.kidzone.ws/lw/snakes/activities-riddles.htm
http://www.free-animations.co.uk/reptiles/reptile_9.html

No comments:

Post a Comment