Wednesday 8 September 2010

Alliteration, Onomatopoeia and Hyperbole

Figures of Speech / Literary Terms

These are words used to describe different "types" of writing, mostly in poetry. There are a LOT of weird words, I have not heard before, so I am going to highlight two of the strangest ones I saw......


Alliteration: This is the repetition of the same or similar sounds at the beginning of words such as tongue twisters like 'She sells seashells by the seashore'.

Onomatopoeia - This is a figure of speech in which words are used to imitate sounds. Eg. clippety-clop achoo

Hyperbole - This is the deliberate exaggeration or intentional overstatement eg: I am so hungry I could eat a horse, I could sleep for a year, she is as skinny as a toothpick.


Ref: http://www.types-of-poetry.org.uk/


No comments:

Post a Comment